The National Tsunami Hazard Mitigation Program (NTHMP) is led by its Chair
in cooperation with its Coordinating Committee
composed of representatives from the following government entities:
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Department of Homeland Security/Federal Emergency Management
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
- U.S. coastal states (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA, East Coast, Gulf Coast)
- Pacific territories/commonwealths (American Samoa, CNMI, Guam)
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Virgin Islands
The NTHMP's actions are guided by the following documents:
The NTHMP has learned from these Assessments and Reports
The NTHMP has three (3) Subcommittees as follows:
The approved voting structure of the NTHMP Coordinating Committee
(as agreed at the January 2014 annual meeting) is as follows:
- American Samoa, AK, CA, CNMI, Guam, HI, OR, WA, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands
- 1 vote each
- East Coast States (GA, SC, NC, VA, MD, DE, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, ME) - 1 vote
- Gulf Coast States (AL, FL, LA, MS, TX) - 1 vote
- FEMA-USGS-NOAA - 2 votes each
NTHMP Program Administration
The NTHMP is supported by the NTHMP Administrator -- Rocky Lopes, contract support at the National Weather Service headquarters, Tsunami Program. This position serves as an Executive Secretary to the Chair, organizes meetings, develops NTHMP meeting agendas, takes minutes for Coordinating Committee meetings, maintains the NTHMP website, and communicates on behalf of the NTHMP Coordinating Committee and Subcommittees with its members.
Proceedings from previous General Meetings
Minutes of past NTHMP Coordinating Committee meetings
Upcoming Meeting Schedule
- Regular meetings of the Coordinating Committee via conference call are scheduled as follows:
- Meetings for 2016 have been completed
- NTHMP MES-MMS Subcommittee Collaboration Meetings via conference call will be held:
- on 2017 dates to be scheduled and announced.
The schedule of meetings for 2017 includes:
- The NTHMP Annual Meeting will be held January 30 to February 3, 2017, in Portland Oregon. See this web page for more information.
- Coordinating Committee: Friday, February 3, Portland, Oregon (in-person meeting as part of the NTHMP Annual Meeting).