The National Tsunami Hazard Mitigation Program (NTHMP) is led by its Chair and leadership in cooperation with its Coordinating Committee composed of representatives from the following government entities:
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Department of Homeland Security/Federal Emergency Management
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
- U.S. coastal states (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA, East Coast, Gulf Coast)
- Pacific territories/commonwealths (American Samoa, CNMI, Guam)
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Virgin Islands
The NTHMP has learned and adapted from a series of assessments and reports.
Subcommittees, Caucus, Work Group, Board, and Task Groups
The NTHMP has three subcommittees:
The NTHMP has one Work Group
The NTHMP has one caucus
The NTHMP has one Board
The NTHMP has Task Groups
The approved voting structure of the NTHMP Coordinating Committee (as agreed at the January 2014 annual meeting) is as follows:
- American Samoa, AK, CA, CNMI, Guam, HI, OR, WA, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands
- 1 vote each
- East Coast States (GA, SC, NC, VA, MD, DE, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, ME) - 1 vote
- Gulf Coast States (AL, FL, LA, MS, TX) - 1 vote
- FEMA-USGS-NOAA - 2 votes each
NTHMP Program Administration
The NTHMP is supported by the NTHMP Administrator who is based at the National Weather Service headquarters, Tsunami Program. This position serves as an Executive Secretary to the Chair, organizes meetings, develops NTHMP meeting agendas, takes minutes for Coordinating Committee meetings, facilitates NTHMP meetings and work groups, maintains the NTHMP website, and communicates on behalf of the NTHMP Coordinating Committee and Subcommittees with its members.
NOAA/NWS Tsunami Activities Grants
Since passage of the Tsunami Warning, Education, and Research Act in 2017 (P.L. 115-25, Title V) and its predecessor legislation in 2007 (TWEA, P.L. 109-479 Title VIII), Congress has authorized and directed NOAA's National Weather Service to award grants supporting tsunami preparedness, mitigation, mapping, and warning activities.
Photo taken at the 2019 NTHMP Winter Meeting in Salt Lake City is here. See who we are!
Group Photo (800 x 301, 201KB)
Proceedings from previous General Meetings
Minutes of past NTHMP Coordinating Committee meetings
2019 Meeting Schedule
- Friday, February 1, 2019 (completed)
- Tuesday, March 12, 2019 (completed)
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019 (completed)
- Tuesday, July 16, 2019 (completed)
- Friday, August 23, 2019 (completed)
- Tuesday, October 1, 2019 (completed)
- Tuesday, November 12, 2019 (completed)
2020 Meeting Schedule
NTHMP Subcommittee Meetings are held via conference call as shown on each subcommittee's web page.