NTHMP Island Caucus
The NTHMP Island Caucus was formed on approval of the NTHMP Coordinating Committee at its meeting of February 5, 2016.
The Island Caucus was created to provide a forum for the members of the NTHMP who are on islands or have significant island chains to focus on the risks associated with the development and maintenance of a comprehensive tsunami preparedness and response program that meets the needs of the islands. Although attendance at Island Caucus gatherings is open to all, the core members are representatives from areas listed below.
There are many others who provide valued guidance and support: Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, National Weather Service, International Tsunami Information Center, University of Hawaii, University of Puerto Rico, and the Caribbean Tsunami Warning Program, as well as other NTHMP partners.
Island Caucus meeting agendas reflect project collaboration opportunities and issues unique to islands, as well as commonalties, such as tsunami effects on the islands, recovery planning, education and building resilience capability, communication issues, cultural issues, isolation issues, science, and engineering needs.
The Island Caucus is grateful to the NTHMP for providing opportunities to share as island representatives often find themselves looking for answers individually and trying to modify standardized program elements that are short of addressing the isolation, the time it takes for help to reach islands, as well as the mapping and modeling of otherwise beautiful island homes.
Membership for the NTHMP Island Caucus includes representatives from:
- American Samoa
- Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- Other states with islands and exposure to an ocean
Leadership--The NTHMP Island Caucus has two Co-Chairs, elected at the inaugural meeting, February 5, 2016:
- Kevin Richards, Hawaii Emergency Management Agency
- Dr. Victor Huerfano, Puerto Rico Seismic Network, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
Terms of Reference (operating By-Laws) have not been developed yet.
Meetings--the NTHMP Island Caucus met:
- NTHMP Winter Meeting, January 29, 2018, Seattle, Washington Agenda Meeting Notes
- NTHMP Summer Meeting, August 2, 2017, Salt Lake City, Utah Agenda
- Informally, March 23, 2017, Honolulu, Hawaii
- NTHMP Annual Meeting, Portland, Oregon: January 31, 2017 Agenda Meeting Notes
Upcoming Island Caucus Meetings