NTHMP Island Caucus
The NTHMP Island Caucus was formed on approval of the NTHMP Coordinating Committee at its meeting of February 5, 2016.
The Island Caucus was created to provide a forum for the members of the NTHMP who are on islands or have significant island chains to focus on the risks associated with the development and maintenance of a comprehensive tsunami preparedness and response program that meets the needs of the islands. Although attendance at Island Caucus gatherings is open to all, the core members are representatives from areas listed below.
There are many others who provide valued guidance and support: Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, National Weather Service, International Tsunami Information Center, University of Hawaii, University of Puerto Rico, and the Caribbean Tsunami Warning Program, as well as other NTHMP partners.
The scope of activities and membership of the Island Caucus are defined in the Terms of Reference.
Membership for the NTHMP Island Caucus includes representatives from:
- American Samoa
- Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Virgin Islands
Leadership and Membership
The NTHMP Island Caucus has two Co-Chairs:
- Kevin Richards, Hawaii Emergency Management Agency (term expires February 2020)
- Denise Lewis, U.S. Virgin Islands Territorial Emergency Management Agency (term expires February 2021)
Members (as of February, 2019)
- Vinnie Atofau, American Samoa Dept. of Homeland Security/Emergency Management
- Kwok Fai Cheung, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI
- Joey de la Cruz, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, Dept. Homeland Security
- Leo Espia, Guam Dept. of Homeland Security
- Chip Guard, NWS Forecast Office, Guam
- Savanna Holloway-Ledo, Hawaii Emergency Management Agency
- Dr. Victor Huerfano, Puerto Rico Seismic Network, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
- Carlos Irigoyen, Puerto Rico Emergency Management Bureau
- Laura Kong, International Tsunami Information Center (NWS Pacific Region)
- Elinor Lutu-McMoore, NWS Forecast Office, American Samoa
- Antonina Paselio, American Samoa Dept. of Homeland Security/Emergency Management
- Elizabeth Vanacore, Puerto Rico Seismic Network, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
- Jonathan Villagomez, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, Dept. Homeland Security
- Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade, Caribbean Tsunami Warning Program (ITIC/NWS Pacific Region)
- Roy Watlington, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Rocky Lopes (ex-officio), NTHMP Administrator
The NTHMP Island Caucus met:
- NTHMP Winter Meeting, San Diego, California: January 28, 2019 Agenda No meeting notes.
- NTHMP Summer Meeting, Sacramento, California: July 25, 2018 Agenda Meeting Notes
- NTHMP Winter Meeting, January 29, 2018, Seattle, Washington Agenda Meeting Notes
- NTHMP Summer Meeting, August 2, 2017, Salt Lake City, Utah Agenda
- Informally, March 23, 2017, Honolulu, Hawaii
- NTHMP Annual Meeting, Portland, Oregon: January 31, 2017 Agenda Meeting Notes
Upcoming Island Caucus Meetings