NOAA/NWS Tsunami Activities Grants
This page updated September 14, 2018
Since passage of the Tsunami Warning, Education, and Research Act in 2017 (P.L. 115-25, Title V) and its predecessor legislation in 2007 (TWEA, P.L. 109-479 Title VIII), Congress has authorized and directed NOAA's National Weather Service to "provide technical and financial assistance to states, territories, local governments, and Tribes" for purposes of improving the nation's tsunami capabilities to the last mile.
NOAA's National Weather Service uses the grant process to provide this financial assistance. The NOAA/NWS Tsunami Activities grants support tsunami preparedness, mitigation, mapping, modeling, and warning coordination activities.
Information on grant eligibility
Per terms of authorizing legislation effective in 2017, states and territories that have membership on the NTHMP Coordinating Committee as defined in the NTHMP Rules of Procedure are eligible to apply as direct applicants. This includes:
- American Samoa
- Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands
- East Coast states (region) through Northeast States Earthquake Consortium
- Gulf Coast states (region) through Texas A&M University at Galveston
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Virgin Islands
The following additional entities are also eligible to apply as subaward applicants through a Primary applicant listed above:
- States not listed above (covered in regions)
- East Coast: ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL (East Coast)
- Gulf Coast: FL (Gulf Coast), AL, MS, LA, and TX
- Local Governments (county or municipality) within any of the states or territories with ocean coastlines
- Quasi-Government such as a Port Authority that operates harbor and/or port operations open to oceans
Federally Recognized Tribes with land within an ocean tsunami inundation zone may apply directly
- Special taxing districts
- School districts
- Fire districts
- Unincorporated entities
- Private, for-profit companies
- Not-for-profit organizations (such as the American Red Cross)
- Clubs or social organizations
- Private universities
- Homeowner, civic, or business associations (e.g., Chamber of Commerce.)
- National Parks, National Seashores or any other entity of the Federal Government.
More information on application eligibility and instructions is here: Grants Application Process for Local Governments and Tribes
For information and collaboration, please first contact your state or territory primary contact, shown here: Grant Principal Investigators.
For further information, contact the Tsunami Program at the National Weather Service Headquarters
Return to main grants page.