Tsunami Warning, Education, and Research Act of 2017
Page updated April 20, 2017
This page provides updates and information about TWERA as it applies to the NTHMP.
This legislation was signed into Law by the President on April 18, 2017. It was appended to a larger bill, the Weather Research & Forecast Innovation Act of 2017. Both pieces of legislation are known collectively as Public Law 115-25.
The full determination of implications of TWERA for the NTHMP need to be discussed by the NTHMP Coordinating Committee, its subcommittees and appointed work groups. This process will take months of work by many people.
Note: No new money was appropriated in this legislation, so there are no additional funds to conduct a wider scope of activities that this legislation describes. When Congress takes appropriations actions and the NTHMP Sponsor, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Weather Service (NOAA/NWS) is advised of the level of appropriated funds, then the NTHMP Coordinating Committee will be advised on next steps for NTHMP members to apply for available funds through the NTHMP grants process for their work.
Forms of the legislation
1. Tsunami Warning, Education, and Research Act of 2017 Readable version/mark-up to identify changes, deletions, and additions to what this legislation has become.
2. Actual legislation: TWERA Amendment to Weather Research and Forecasting Innovation Act of 2017
3. Complete bill: Weather Research and Forecasting Innovation Act of 2017
NTHMP Groups involved in interpreting TWERA
1. NTHMP Coordinating Committee empowered to determine operational interpretations of the legislation as it affects the NTHMP (not NOAA)
2. NTHMP Mapping & Modeling Subcommittee recommends content for its relevant work and outcomes in NTHMP Foundation Documents (described below).
3. NTHMP Mitigation & Education Subcommittee recommends content for its relevant work and outcomes in NTHMP Foundation Documents (described below).
4. NTHMP Warning Coordination Subcommittee recommends content for its relevant work and outcomes in NTHMP Foundation Documents (described below).
5. 2018 - 2023 NTHMP Strategic Planning Work Group -- appointed at the February 2017 NTHMP Coordinating Committee meeting, this Work Group is charged with developing a draft of the 2018 - 2023 NTHMP Strategic Plan for presentation and review by the NTHMP Coordinating Committee.
6. Other work group(s) to be appointed as needed.
Foundation Documents that TWERA will impact and will require updating
1. 2018 - 2023 NTHMP Strategic Plan (in process, draft due by Coordinating Committee meeting of November 21, 2017)
2. FY18 NTHMP Grant Guidance (to be developed by NOAA and provided in November, 2017)
3. NTHMP Rules of Procedure (akin to By-Laws)
4. NTHMP Subcommittee Terms of Reference (akin to Subcommittee By-Laws)
More to follow.
Questions? Contact Rocky Lopes, NTHMP Administrator: Rocky.Lopes@noaa.gov, phone 301-427-9380